The term "adaptive reuse" in real estate typically recalls repurposing old commercial buildings, but the focus is shifting towards underused assets in higher learning institutions. With the rise of online learning, colleges face challenges in managing facilities built for traditional in-person classes. Larry Gautier, Senior Vice President of NAI Miami | Fort Lauderdale, discusses how NAI is addressing this need by helping schools develop strategies, whether it's leasing to commercial users, forming joint ventures, or entering long-term leases with developers. The emphasis is on revenue generation, enhancing the student experience, and community engagement.
Traditionally focused on conventional real estate transactions, NAI has adapted its approach to meet the evolving needs of higher learning institutions. The shift to remote learning has left colleges with surplus facilities, prompting NAI to step in and help create strategies for these schools. Larry Gautier emphasizes the importance of addressing key factors such as revenue, student experience, and community engagement. The approach involves exploring options like Aerospace or engineering companies for educational programs or leasing to commercial users, forming joint ventures, or entering long-term leases with developers. NAI's involvement with Broward College and the successful adaptation of its surplus facilities showcase the practical application of these strategies.
- Changing Landscape: The rise of online learning has left many higher learning institutions with underused or vacant assets.
- NAI's Adaptation: NAI, traditionally focused on conventional real estate, now addresses the unique challenges faced by colleges and universities.
- Strategic Solutions: NAI helps schools create strategies, considering factors like revenue, student experience, and community engagement.
- Diversification: Options include leasing to commercial users, forming joint ventures with companies for educational programs, and entering long-term leases with developers.
- Broward College Success: NAI's involvement with Broward College resulted in a successful adaptation of surplus facilities, generating revenue through leasing to a soccer academy and pickleball operator.
- Revenue Generation: The focus is on helping schools generate revenue, adapt to changing circumstances, and enhance the overall student experience.
- Community Engagement: NAI considers how properties contribute to the community, emphasizing the importance of engaging with the local population.
- Case Studies: Examples like Broward College and Notre Dame of Maryland University highlight the practical application of adaptive reuse strategies.
- Market Dynamics: While some schools seek to reduce or reuse properties, others, especially community colleges, are looking to expand and lease additional space off the main campus.
- Opportunities in Softening Markets: Softening office space markets provide opportunities for community colleges to secure additional space for growing enrollment.
This shift in focus towards adaptive reuse in higher education real estate reflects the dynamic nature of the industry, where strategic solutions are essential for navigating challenges and seizing opportunities.
Real Estate Articles / Feb 01, 2022
What if you were told that you could earn regular dividends from your investments without the hassles relating to buying, managing or even financing a property?
Real Estate Articles / Jan 31, 2023
Having a multifamily property in a retail center is beneficial for both the buyer and seller and the residents of the property. The demand for rental communities that offer combined spaces for living, working, and entertainment is on the rise.
Real Estate Articles / May 11, 2022
Whether you are buying property or selling property, closing is a crucial part that will make or break your deal. We have listed major pointers that will help you deal with your next closing much better.
Real Estate Articles / Feb 14, 2024
The ISM services index shot higher into expansion territory during January, which is the latest piece of evidence that economic growth is still firmly in positive territory.
Real Estate Articles / Feb 09, 2019
Whether you are a seasoned investor, or you\'re researching for your first property there is always a certain risk factor that makes us hesitate before signing the dotted line.
Real Estate Articles / Dec 28, 2022
2023 commercial real estate predictions are here. Find out which is the best investment opportunities are best for you. Make money with commercial real estate.
Real Estate Articles / Jul 08, 2022
2022 has proven to be a pivotal year for the housing and real estate market. With the ongoing Ukraine war on one side, and the rising interest rates on the other, the housing market is seeing a shift from the post-Covid boost.
Real Estate Articles / Jul 26, 2023
There are still opportunities to earn money from short-term rentals, despite the ongoing decline. strategic investments and a proactive approach can lead to success in the evolving short-term rental industry.
Real Estate Articles / Dec 08, 2023
Developers in the affordable housing sector face unprecedented challenges in financing that are primarily revolving around construction-related hurdles.
Real Estate Articles / Dec 21, 2022
Wetlands are profitable investments if done right. Texas has multiple real estate investment options, including wetlands and you can get great returns on investment from them.